When I eat out I want it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You might have seen the advice on how exactly to shave calories at restaurants but really, do you need to pay high restaurant prices for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? Or even, how then can you solve the dilemma of too many calories when you eat out?
Here are seven strategies for obtaining the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered is already too large. Stop super sizing and you?ll save money. Better still, order one dinner and have for a supplementary plate. Many restaurants will do this for a dollar or two, also it?s well worth it. Then share the meal with your friend and you split the price straight down the middle. Another option is to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two different people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole thing and it?s still a huge amount of food!
2. Skip the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket together with your meal. Unless it?s a brand new baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t have to fill up on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for meals. Just ask for it to be taken away if you can?t resist, but frankly, Poulet portugais ?re an adult, it is possible to resist, if you need to. You can simply choose not to put a roll on your own plate. Try it, only once and see in the event that you don?t walk out of that restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t skip the rolls, at least miss the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Wholegrain bread is delicious simply by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Carbonated drinks are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and become they?re doing you a large favor by only charging you $1.29 for a giant 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Particularly if you?re ordering ?to go? miss the drink. If you?re consuming it there, require water, or at the very least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down You Eat Too Fast! What?s the rush? Take your time, savor the moment, enjoy the flavors. A big part of getting in touch with your hunger signals and understanding how to eat what really will satisfy is learning to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know once you?re approaching satisfaction if you?ve gobbled everything down in 5 minutes. Take a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you start wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Try to chew your food and your body will be notably happier. A very large part of digestion begins in your mouth, not forgetting you?ll get a lot more pleasure if you let the food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I know, you really love the skin?needless to say you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or would you like to eat fat? You choose. I never eat chicken skin rather than eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You will need to decide what you want more, the next?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or a lifetime of carrying around a supplementary 40 lbs? I know that is counter to the reduced carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight loss for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the start of Meal. When the food is served, immediately portion off some to take home for tomorrow. Most restaurants in the US serve way too much. There is absolutely no law you must eat it all. Do that frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting a supplementary lunch out of this meal.
7. Get yourself a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and start checking out how many calories you?re really eating. If you eat out frequently and you also carry additional weight, then that?s most likely the problem right there. This little book can help you realize why it seems you don?t eat that much yet it is possible to?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a fresh burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories all by itself! Given that?s frightening.
If you really want to get a handle on your bodyweight problem, look first to where you take in, second at what you eat, and third just how much you eat. Where, What and How Much? Try these steps choosing one tip at a time, and see how easily it is possible to take a few of the calories out of restaurant food.